Extra storage is always welcome either in the house or in the office. When closet organization systems or a portable closet is not enough, people often go for boxes or wicker storage boxes. They are functional, stylish and readily available. White wicker storage boxes or uncolored ones are available in all shapes and sizes. They can be used for storing toys, towels, laundry, newspapers, magazines, CDs, DVDs, gardening tools and a large variety of other things. Plus, they make great picnic baskets too.
Wicker is a hard and tough woven fiber that is made into a rigid type of material. It is mainly used in baskets and furniture. It can be made from any part of plant such as rattan stocks, core of bamboos, sea grass, reeds, or whole thickness of plant.
Variety of Wicker Baskets
There are various types of wicker baskets. They are available in many sizes. You can find round wicker baskets, square storage wicker baskets as well as others. There are baskets with lids and boxes without.
There are lined wicker storage baskets that are mostly for decorative use. Baskets with lids are very handy when storing food items, DVDs or other things that must be protected from dust. Lids also keep the things inside hidden from people’s sight.
Types of Wicker Baskets
· Natural wicker baskets. These use plant materials woven into a vine. These are known for their durability, style and strength. These require a lot of maintenance and are suitable for indoor use.
· Synthetic wicker baskets. These are made using plastic, resin or paper wrapped high tensile wire. These are preferred for outdoor use because they do not require that much attention and care.
Advantages of Wicker Storage Baskets
Wicker storage baskets have various purposes but they are best suited for the kitchen. They can used to keep smaller appliances, hold various kitchen utensils and other spare kitchenware. Wicker baskets also make great presents during Christmas.
· Organize items. Small wicker storage baskets can be used to clean up a messy room but organizing various odd objects and small miscellaneous items. You can both minimize the clutter and stay fashionable with the use of these baskets.
· Attractive. Wicker baskets are just so nice to look at and they do not ruin the existing decor of a room. They fit perfectly just about anywhere.
· Economical. Wicker baskets are very cheap. They can be purchased from local stores without spending a fortune.
· Light. Cheap wicker storage baskets are very light and portable. There is no difficulty in moving them from one room to another. Wicker baskets are a good way to hold food, candles and other goods.
· Easy to clean and maintain. To clean wicker baskets, all you need is just soap solution, warm water and a soft sponge. Cleaning can be done every three to four months, or every season. Do not use high-pressure water or a brush with hard bristles when cleaning wicker baskets, this can damage the finish of the basket. They can also be vacuumed.
What to Look for in Wicker Storage Baskets
The type of basket you will purchase will depend greatly on its purpose. The bottom line is you will want to look for a basket that has a good weave so the wood fibers won’t break apart easily. The basket you choose to use should be constructed to withstand the type of wear it will receive as a finished item. Wicker can be used as a general term to describe a wood style woven piece and not necessarily to indicate a specific type of wood.
You may find some baskets constructed of various materials such as bamboo or even sea grass. The more delicate the fibers used in the weave are, the less sturdy the item may be. A high quality style of basket will have larger pieces of wood used in the weave and is generally coated with a finish to help add durability to the piece. If you see a lot of open areas on the basket, then that indicates that it is not a high quality basket. Also inspect the areas around the handles to make sure that they are secure and not loose.